- Taking care of yourself, your children, spouse & family
- Securing housing
- Resources, insurance, etc.
It is critical to make sure that step 1 is accomplished and that you and your family are really okay before you move on to steps 2 and 3 or else you won’t be able to get through them. You must lay the “foundation” in order to rebuild your life.
- Register at shelters, with the Red Cross, FEMA, and other agencies. They will then have a point of contact for you.
- Get a P.O. Box and forward all mail there. Use this as the mailing address for all the forms you fill.
- Call your homeowners’ or rental insurance to trigger “loss of use” coverage. This coverage will get you access to funds for essentials.
- Save your receipts. You may be able to recover incidental costs from your insurer as well.
- Start searching for a long term rental if you will need one. If you coordinate with your insurer, they may be able to make payments directly.
- If your home has been damaged or destroyed by fire, please be careful when you return to your lot, as it may have become toxic. Please protect yourself.
- Tree holes will continue to burn, and it is possible you could fall through. Be careful.
- Collect contact information from your neighbors. Often, neighbors will help share information.
- If your home has been damaged or destroyed by fire, please be sure to wear a protective air mask when you are on your lot, particularly if you are searching for items to recover.
- Create an address sign to post at your property.
You can also download a printable copy of the Butte Camp Fire Practical Advice & Emergency Tips.
✓No Other Firm Has More Experience Suing PG&E.
Our first case against PG&E was nearly 30 years ago. We know PG&E’s playbook and we use that unique knowledge to benefit our clients.
✓We have succeeded in trial against PG&E.
Our lead trial lawyer, Mike Danko, is the only lawyer in Northern California to have taken a case of this type all the way through to trial and verdict against PG&E. Since then, PG&E has offered settlements to our clients in many cases during or just before the start of trial. PG&E knows we are ready, willing and able to take a case to trial, and that approach helps us achieve the best results for our clients.
✓Appointed by judges to lead legal battles against PG&E.
We have been appointed by judges to leadership positions in large-scale cases against PG&E, including the 2017 North Bay Fires cases, the 2015 Butte Fire cases, and the 2010 San Bruno Explosion cases. Judges trust us to represent the best interests of fire & disaster victims.
Northern California Fire Lawyers is a coalition of prominent Northern California law firms: Corey, Luzaich, de Ghetaldi & Riddle, Danko Meredith, and Gibbs Law Group. Our firms consist of seasoned trial lawyers, leading national personal injury attorneys, and experienced complex litigators. Attorneys on our team have been appointed by California judges to serve in leadership positions in a number of large, coordinated fire and disaster cases. We bring a deep knowledge of the systems and fire-prevention policies of major utility companies and are well-positioned to leverage the hard work from our previous cases to benefit our clients.
Find out if you have a claim
Free consultation with a wildfire lawyer